Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Our New Patio (and other noteworthy news from Virginia)

We've completed phase two of the backyard transformation. While we didn't have a master plan for a our backyard, it seemed to evolve into one. Here's how....After replacing the old porch, it made the crushed stone patio area and broken concrete walk look terrible. In order to improve that we needed a patio, so we thought we would have someone give us some help. Through discussions last fall with several people, it turned out that we needed to remove some old trees. We decided to have a plan done for the backyard, and, well, here we are with the beginnings of a new backyard.

In what we are calling, phase three, we will plant and add sod (it is such a small space that we decided it would be easier and more dog hole proof-we'll see if that works). The sod should be in in the next few weeks and Greg, Sarah, and I will plant sometime in early April. After that we need to install lattice under the porch.. We are excited to see how it turns out and Greg wants to make sure that I don't kill anything. I'll post pictures as we get closer to a final project.

Sarah likes the new patio and enjoys riding in her new "car" on it. Our neighbors handed it down to us after all of their grandchildren outgrew it. Sara loves being pushed around in and honking the horn.

In other news.......

-My mom came to visit last week. She spent most of the week taking Sarah to the zoo, the Children's Museum, the park across the street, and Maymont (another little petting zoo place). She and Sarah had a wonderful time and within a few days Sarah was asking for "Nanny" when she woke up and wanted to go see her. She was very sad to see Nanny leave on Sunday for the airport and screamed most of the way home. I think she'll look forward to seeing her again in May

-I am training for a 10k, which is in early April. After years of knee problems, having Sarah, lack of sleep, and busy work schedules, I found I wasn't fitting in exercise as much and I wanted to try and get back in shape. I joined a local 10k training team, which has group runs on Saturdays. I am not usually into running in large groups, but I felt I needed to it to keep me motivated. Running during the week still seems to be challenging. I find I can only do it after Sarah goes to bed and before Greg goes to work, which is between 8:30 and 9:30pm. Luckily we live in the city and there are plenty of lighted routes with sidewalks for me to run on. I am hoping this will get me back into a running schedule. While probably not really a sport, I am also bowling every other week with a league of other state employees. Don't think the league piece means that I am good. It's just a fun night out with good people. Last time a bowled a 142 on one game, which is my highest ever. Consequently, I posted it on our refrigerator.

-Greg, Sarah, and I hopefully are heading to southern Utah in May to visit the Grand Canyon (northern rim), Zion, and Bryce Canyon national parks.

-Sarah continues to learn new things. I love watching her run. It's like puppies--the legs go everywhere, yet they still run (somewhat) in a straight line. She is very good about saying thank you (I have to credit the daycare staff on that one) and calls blueberries -"boobies", which makes me laugh. She is getting better with colors and putting together easy puzzles. We are hoping that she finally cut her last tooth and the nights of her screaming when it happens (if that was what was bothering her) are over. However, I am sure something new to wake her at night will come up.

So that's the news from here. We hope that everyone is well and with the spring weather, I get back on track with posting more often!

A glimpse of the large beds that are awaiting new shrubs and plants.



Sarah drives her car on the patio.


The patio and porch (we need lattice underneath)


Sarah plays fetch with Brody.

1 comment:

Julie SB said...

Wow it is beautiful. By the time I get out there again it'll be perfect for lounging. Greg can bring us drinks. May is a great month to go to the SW. you'll be so close to us, yet so far away. Sad for me. Sarah looks great and happy. Where is my picture update of you? Hope you are well.